Want to know more about working at Ofqual? Glenys Stacey talks about the work we do and the opportunity for you to contribute.
Please follow Ofqual jobs on Twitter to be alerted to any new roles.
- Senior Officer Communications (Closes 10 July 2015)
Senior Officer Communications
- Salary range of £31,000 to £36,000 (HEO)
- Full time, permanent position
- Based in Coventry
- We offer pension contributions, childcare vouchers, eye care vouchers and a cycle to work scheme
- Closing date for completed applications is noon on 10 July 2015
Ofqual is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all parts of the community.
How to apply
Ofqual regulates qualifications, exams and assessments in England and vocational qualifications in Northern Ireland. We’re here to secure the standards of qualifications, to promote confidence in them and to ensure that the system works well – that standards are maintained.
We have a big job to do in a dynamic and changing sector and we are seeking an experienced individual to join our Communications Team to ensure we engage effectively with our staff and external stakeholders.
The Communications Directorate comprises two teams, one responsible for the creation of communications and the other their delivery. We are seeking a Chief Communications Officer to lead a small team responsible for all communication with our staff, the media and educating the general public.
The team manages all of the organisation’s media liaison activities, from issuing press releases to managing responses to enquiries. It monitors traditional and social media coverage and provides advice and guidance to staff. The team plays an important role in liaising with key stakeholders, devising key messages and creating educational materials for the general public. It also has responsibility for coordinating all internal communications, so our staff are aware of what is happening within and outside the business.
The team works closely with their communication delivery colleagues and a Coordination Officer to ensure the timely release of high-quality outputs that educate and inform.
To contribute to the development and delivery of Ofqual’s media strategy to communicate and promote its work, protect its reputation and achieve its strategic aims.
To contribute to the development and implementation of Ofqual’s Internal Communications strategy, working to deliver co-ordinated communications plans and activity which builds effective engagement with staff, promoting awareness of Ofqual’s priorities, key messages and colleague satisfaction.
- Pro-actively using Ofqual’s messaging approach to develop media lines, identifying positive story opportunities, and preparing statements, press releases, handling plans and briefings on high-profile and complex issues to communicate Ofqual’s activities, policies and positions, and build and maintain its reputation.
- Monitoring social media channels to spot issues and opportunities; dispelling myths and inaccuracies in a timely fashion, developing messages and pro-actively managing reputation. Actively engaging with partners in online networks.
- Acting as a key contact between the organisation and the local, regional and national media including print and broadcast, responding to enquiries, providing factual information and positively influencing media coverage to ensure Ofqual’s view and opinions are effectively represented.
- Working up ideas for stories and case studies that support communication and business / policy objectives.
- Maintaining an awareness of the news agenda and emerging news events, flagging issues appropriately within the organisation and taking appropriate action to protect reputation
- Developing and nurturing excellent relationships with journalists and contacts (eg bloggers) in all forms of media, to improve story placement and positively influence coverage
- Drafting quality press releases, press packs, and lines to take and issuing within agreed protocols
- Acting as a key contact between the organisation and other stakeholders’ press teams, including government departments, awarding organisations and other regulatory bodies.
- Being an active member of the 24-7 press duty rota to provide out of hours media support to the organisation, and act as spokesperson for the organisation where appropriate
- Working closely with Strategic Relationships teamsto share information and intelligence that may affect approaches to stakeholder and media management, and take pro-active and appropriate action to manage reputation coherently and effectively.
- Monitoring and evaluating media coverage to inform the organisation’s communications and regulatory activities.
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date records of media enquiries and responses.
- Developing and maintaining good working relationships internally and externally to support the organisation in achieving its objectives.
- Delivering the internal communications strategy to ensure the effectiveness of internal communications activity and colleague engagement across the organisation.
- Using internal communication channels to disseminate accurate, timely and concise content which informs colleagues of key priorities and messages.
- Evaluate internal communication strategies, plans and campaigns, using metrics to report on the impact of internal communications activity, and analyse, adapt and improve communications work and outcomes.
What we offer
Salary range of £31,000 to £36,000
All positions are full time, 36 hours per week and benefits include a Government pension scheme, 30 days holiday plus bank holidays, development opportunities, employee well-being programmes and other benefits.
To apply for this post please complete the online application linked above. If you have any issues please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you decide to apply we will confirm receipt of your application.
Do you have the right to work in the UK?
The law is continually being reviewed by the Home Office and UK Border Agency so please check you meet the requirements before you apply.
Civil Service nationality rules
Civil Service nationality rules determine who Ofqual can open posts to.
You are eligible to apply if you are a:
- UK national
- Commonwealth citizen,
- National of the European Economic Area (EEA)
- Swiss or Turkish national (subject to certain restrictions).
Certain family members of EEA, Swiss and Turkish nationals who are not themselves EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals, are also eligible.